Wednesday, January 5, 2011

So everybody put your best suit or dress on.


So I'm a little late I know, but I was off visiting my most darling boy.

I never really make new years resolutions, this year though something really came over me to write some things down.
I'm not really sure if I want to call them resolutions I'm still trying to figure that out.
I think they are just things I really want to try and commit to, things I hope to do, and things I think will help me as a person in general.
Some are just fun and some are more legit but either way I just wanted to share my list.

1. Make one to recipe a week- This year I began to dabble my hand in baking but I really want to be able to make a real good mix of everything. I don't plan on being the most amazing chef ever, just hope to provide more nutritious home made meals. It was hard to want to cook when it was just for myself but with boy visiting every weekend and my lovely weekly potluck, my desire to learn has become very important to me. I got 8 new cookbooks for christmas, lets go!

2. Yoga three times a week- This is super important to me. I've been told I need to do yoga for years. I have a few videos and do it once in awhile but never really committed to it. Then after this last semester I took a modern dance class and yoga was part of every class, just to center ourselves. I always felt so at peace and well stretched. I want to bring that into my life even without my class. I hope to keep it up!

3. Spring Garden- My Nan used to keep a garden in our backyard, but just doesnt have the time anymore. So there is perfectly good soil going to waste. Greg and I really want to keep a garden once we're married someday, so we figured now would be the perfect time to learn. We plan on doing research and starting easy, but we're very excited. Any tips would be so helpful!

4. Compost- Wanting to garden really came from my this years obsession with compost. Sometimes I have random urges to research things and make them apart of my life. Compost was that thing in 2010. But with nothing to do with the compost, I did the research but never actually started. Now that we plan on gardening I can commit to compost. oh yay!

5. Love more intentionally- As I get older I realize the importance of people in your life. I see that the older I get the less and less friends I seem to have. Not because of fights, or "not liking", but for the sole reasoning of life. Life happens. You keep growing and not everyone grows together, but everyone grows. Instead of spreading myself so thin, I want to be more intentional on loving those close and make sure they feel appreciated more regularly.

6. Snail mail, seriously.- A lot of the people I really love aren't exactly the closest to me in living vicinity. I want to remember to show them how much I love them in way more personal ways than facebook, bleh. I hope to commit to sitting down and writing or crafting at least a letter a week. Wish me luck!

7. Learn to french press- This is something I have wanted to do for the last few years, but haven't been able to commit to. I also have a lot of people in my life who are passionate about coffee. And after writing an extensive 12 page research paper about it this semester, I have to admit I am a little bit too. But I REFUSE to be a coffee snob. I will never look down on someone for coffee, if you want to educate people about a passion the silliest way to go about it is to first offend them for something they are currently doing. Thats just a good way to build walls. I want to learn it as an art, I want to be educated!

8. Take a cake decorating class- Long ago when I was in high school I worked at a craft store. The cake decorating classes seemed a must, but also seemed to be a mom thing. Haha! Now I have at least 2 friends who say they would be willing to come with. I think it would be a really fun thing to do together.

9. Don't let the sun down- I don't know why but as of late I have been thinking much about the verse in Ephesians that says not to let the sun go down down on your anger. But I just want to apply it to any extreme emotion. I don't want to go to sleep with anxiety, or being upset, or angry or feeling hurt. Not if its my own doing. I cannot make other people fix things if they don't want to, but I need to do my part to make sure it doesn't happen. I'm sure you know by now I hermit under stress and worry. I'm trying to get rid of that this year. It will definetly be a challenge!

10. Vitamins, Vitamins, Vitamins!- This one is simple. I have a bunch of vitamins I should be taking daily that I neglect. I need to start taking better care of my body. I constantly run on empty to be able to be everywhere and have a really hard time ever saying no. Well, if I'm not healthy I cannot help anyone. I need to get going. gesh!

11. Get Organized- This does not just mean stuff (although it is a huge part)! It means life. Relationships, school, schedules, work, I know this is something you always have to revisit and work on, but I want to take it serious this year. The next few months I will be sorting, shelving, boxing, labeling, saving and planning.

So thats it! Eleven things I hope to do in 2011!! The beginning of the year feels so fresh, I am excited for everything this year will bring. I can't wait to look back at this next year and see how well I did, should be interesting.

Do you have anything you hope to accomplish this year? Hope you feel as refreshed as I do!
xoxo jess

No comments:

Post a Comment