Wednesday, October 5, 2011

DIY: Pie in a Jar.

Good Morning Dear Friends!
I have a super yummy DIY to share with you on this sunny day.
You may or may not have known that pies in a jar seem to be a new yummy trend and I figured I would test it out and share my findings with you all.
I made these when I went to visit the boys this weekend, so assuming they have nothing in their apartment and not wanting to transport everything, I found a simple way to make pumpkin pie. Anyone could make these even if you do not think you are a baker. I used small jam jars considering it would be easiest to eat out of since they are short. Reminder that your jars or any glass you use needs to be oven safe, mason jars are made to handle the high temperatures so its easy to bake with them.
1. cover the bottom and sides of your jars with your crust.
Remember to feel free to make crust as you usually do.
I do not normally use roll out crust but under the circumstances it seemed like the best plan.
3-4 roll out crusts should be enough to cover 12 mini jars.
2. make your pie filling and fill your jars!
again you can make your normal recipe, mine just uses lots of different spices I knew the boys wouldn't have. If you need something easy just use this..
-1 can pumpkin
-1 can condensed milk
-2 eggs
-1 tsp cinnamon
-1 tsp pumpkin pie spice

3. bake!
Preheat your oven to 425, bake for 15 minutes.
Lower heat to 350, bake for 35 minutes.
This is standard pumpkin pie cook time, I didn't find the jars to be any different but because it could be based on your oven, your jars, ect I would watch them.
4. indulge.
Oh man, the boys sure did. I enjoyed my share too, I'm just partial to my recipe, aren't we all?
They were so cute though, I think they would be perfect for a party.
I made a pumpkin pie last night for glee night (my way hehe) and with the extra crust I made I popped a couple of these in the oven and for my nanny kids. Since the lids can go on them they were a super special lunch box treat for them today:) ek!
I am pretty much obsessed with pie season, it always makes the house smell delicious.
We have a realllly exciting weekend ahead, some of our Jersey friends are visiting! I'm sure we will be busy bees and I cannot wait to all be together again.
Here's to hoping the rest of the week goes quickly so we all can enjoy our weekend!
xo j


No comments:

Post a Comment