Saturday, December 24, 2011

DIY: Peppermint Bark

Here's my favorite Christmas treat! Greg and I decided to make it ourselves this year and count it as our first family tradition!

Before I start I have a huge disclaimer (mainly because I am letting myself down): this is the only time I will ever use instagram to do a DIY or recipe post. I do not mind using it when I am just updating on life but I think it is such a cop out. I promise this was a one time thing. forgive me.

Whew, I feel better, now we can start!

1. chocolate wafers (2lbs)
2. vanilla wafers (2lbs)
3. peppermint extract/flavor (1/2 tsp)
4. candy canes (12)
1. You can really do this which ever order you feel, we crushed our candy canes first so it was out of the way. You can use any method you like to get them ground up. I used a cutting board, rolling pin and strong man:)
2. You are going to need to double boil, You can do this with two pots or use pyrex like me.
All it means is in the bigger pot you'll have the water boiling which will melt the chocolate wafers in the smaller pot. do not rush, you will burn your chocolate.

3. when the chocolate is fully melted, pour it into either a 9 by 13 cake pan or a cookie sheet. It depends on how thick you want your peppermint bark. we did a cake pan so we could make big chunks but I've seen people use a cookie sheet then cut out cookie cutter shapes, I think that is super cute too!
After you have it spread pretty evenly, put it in the freezer.
4. It wont take long for it to harden and once it does you can start the white chocolate wafers repeating step three. Only this time once the chocolate is melted add in your peppermint extract and candy candy pieces.
5. Lay on top of the hardened chocolate spread evenly and sprinkle some larger candy cane chunks on top. Put in the freezer and wait for it all to harden.
6. Once its done it should come right out of the pan in a big brick. Its super hard to break. I'm sure there are more conventional ways to do this but we honest to goodness put it in a bag with a towel over it and took a rubber mallet to it. hahha it was so fun!

It is SO delicious. I packaged it in christmas tins and sent it out for the holidays. When you and your brother are getting married in the same calendar year, you gotta to holiday on a budget! haha! More last minute DIYs to come!

Merry Christmas Eve everyone!!!!
xo j


No comments:

Post a Comment