Friday, December 23, 2011

Hyvää Joulua!


I will never forget the first time I ever walked into Greg's dorm and the gigantic Finnish flag that took up an entire wall. I was slightly puzzled, and intrigued, because you do not have a flag that big for no good reason.
I learned all about his love and pride for his mothers homeland. So much so that he has become a dual citizen, and often talks about how if he had never met me, he would have moved there. (haha!)
If you have been reading this blog for awhile you probably know that I have since adopted such pride into my life, as if I myself am scandinavian. Which from my height alone could never be true!
I have loved talking to Greg's mom about all her adventures in Helsinki, and always love learning about traditions that we can keep alive in our family.
One of my favorite little things I've noticed that Mum does every year is put these little gnomes in all the windows. I asked her what the story is and she shared with me and and I wanted to share it with you!

Joulu tontut (this is the Finnish name of the elves!)
These elves live with Santa Claus at the North Pole. They help
him make toys for good little children during the year. They
usually wear gray outfits and red hats with jingle bells on them.

Around December 1st they leave the North Pole and start making
trips around the country. They look for children, usually from
behind the windows. They then report back to Santa what they
have seen and heard. Maybe you have seen one of them? Or did
you hear the jingle bells?
When Christmas comes, they help Santa deliver the toys and
sometimes even leave a big sack of them behind your door!
(click to enlarge)
So cute! The lovely fiance made a template to share in case you wanted to share the story of the christmas elves with your family too!
I printed them at 200% and love seeing them in the window. yay family traditions!

I am sorry for the absence, I have just had SO many christmas orders to finish up I was barely at my computer at all. And I know christmas is pretty much here but I had all these DIYs all ready so I'm going to post them all anyway:)
xo jess

No comments:

Post a Comment